Friday, May 27, 2011

A Special Now and Later Edition: All About Mindy Kaling

Wow! Is that title misleading or what? I was trying to be cutesy by using "now and later" as a reference to the fact that this post is going to contain something I think is cool now and something that I think will be cool when it comes out. Instead, it sounds like I found now special edition of now and later candies. Speaking of now and laters, I've never been able to discover if I like them. Every time I've tried one, it's been kind of old and stale. Or maybe they just taste that stale in general. So, I assume that they're kind of nasty, but I can't assert that statement with any kind of certainty. Oh yeah, I was talking about something else. Sorry, my mind wanders. Anyway, instead of a special edition of now and laters, I'm actually going to write about things related to Mindy Kaling.

You actually may recognize the name Mindy Kaling. But, if you don't, you're more likely to recognize her most famous character: Kelly Kapoor from The Office.  In fact, Mindy Kaling is one of The Office's writers. Anyway, she's awesome and funny and you should totally be aware of who she is.

So, I guess I'll start with the now. Right now, you can enjoy Mindy's writing by reading her blog, "Things I've Bought that I Love." She hasn't updated since 2008 so some of the items she wrote about may not still be available. But, that doesn't really matter because that's not really the main reason for reading through it. I mean, I'm very unlikely to be buying flats that cost hundreds of dollars, but I'm happy to read about them when the writing is as funny as Mindy's is.

I also have another "now" for you. Isn't that awesome? This one will particularly appeal to fans/former fans of The Office because, well, it is kind of from The Office. It's one of their short webisode series featuring Mindy Kaling. In these three webisodes, Kelly and Erin have formed a band, Subtle Sexuality, with Kelly as the lead singer. They center around Kelly and Erin's making a video for their song, "Male Prima Donna," and the final and by far the best webisode is the music video. And if you enjoy these webisodes, they've also since created another less-funny-but-still-entertaining video that's a parody of Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me." I've included the final webisode of the "Male Prima Donna" series below, but if you want to watch them all, you can find them on The Office's official site.



Now, it's time for the later portion of this post. I'm super excited about Mindy's upcoming book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). It doesn't actually come out until November, but a fairly long excerpt is available at http://www.scribd.com/doc/56238687/Is-Everyone-Hanging-Out-Without-Me-by-Mindy-Kaling-Excerpt. I don't know a whole lot about it. Judging from the except, however, it consists of Mindy's thoughts on various things, and it will be really funny.

Credit: Amazon.com

1 comment:

  1. Living in Scotland sucks; I can't watch anything on nbc.com, which is upsetting because there is loads I'd like to watch!

    ReplyDelete