Friday, July 22, 2011

Art Time with a Non-Artist (Me)

There's something you should know about me; I'm not much of an artist. The closest I've ever been to feeling like an artist were the multiple times that I was asked if I painted the Van Gogh posters hanging on my dorm wall. Another fact about me: I don't even have much art knowledge. When I was choosing those posters for my wall, I browsed through the "most popular" category and picked the prettiest ones. But despite these two Julie factoids, I'm going to share something kind of arty with you today.

I came across this post http://www.lilmagoolie.com/2010/04/01/get-spotty/ and was greatly intrigued by the idea of eraser artwork. It's pretty much what it sounds like. You dip a pencil eraser on an ink pad and use it make artwork out of the resulting dots (I also used a sharpie to aid in my artwork).  So, one night when I couldn't go to sleep, I decided to give it a shot.  It sounded easy, and I had everything that it required on hand. Well, kind of. I didn't have a working inkpad, but I had an old watercolor set, probably from when one of my siblings or I was in elementary school. But you know what? It actually worked pretty well, and when I inevitably spilled some the paint on my counter, it washed right out. 

Now, I know my resulting artwork is far from great. The ideas are unoriginal and simplistic, and the actual artwork could be easily replicated by a child. That really wasn't the point of this for me. I just wanted to flex my creativity muscles a bit and have some fun. I feel like both of these objectives were achieved, so I'm satisfied. Plus, my artwork may not be great, but I actually kind of like it. Maybe that's just my aforementioned lack of art knowledge talking.


So, if you're bored and are looking for a fun way to show some creativity, I'd definitely recommend trying some eraser artwork. It's definitely gets a stamp of approval from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment