Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Virtual Barber Shop-Actual Haircut Not Included

Close your eyes, and imagine for a moment that you're getting your hair cut. Really stretch your imagination here. Maybe add in some details like the barber's speaking to you. Now, how realistic was that? Unless you have some super imagination, it probably was on the lower end of the realism scale. You're probably wondering why I had you do this weird exercise (which, let's be honest, the majority of you probably didn't do. I know I would have probably skipped it).  Well, it's my way of introducing to you an audio clip to aid your imagination.

The audio, "Virtual Barber Shop," honestly creates a pretty realistic way to imagine you're at the barber shop. You put in some headphones, close your eyes, and listen to this clip. I don't know exactly how it works, but it uses binaural audio technology. Someone smarter than me could give you a much better explanation, but it's basically a special recording technique that makes things sound awesome when you put in headphones. When I listened to "Virtual Barber Shop," I actually got slightly creeped out and had to open my eyes for a second because it sounded so realistic.

Now, I know a "Virtual Barber Shop" doesn't sound that exciting. But it's not the "barber shop" part that makes it cool; it's the "virtual" part. In fact, there's several of these binaural recordings out there if you have something against barbers. This one is just my favorite. If that wasn't convincing, you'll just have to trust me. It's less than five minutes, and if you don't like it, you can complain in the comments. If you try it out and like it, you can also say nice things in the comments.

I've embedded a clip of the "Virtual Barber Shop" from youtube, but here's a link to the website from which the audio originated. They have a couple of other binaural audio clips on there. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment